We’d like you to focus your eyes on a few New Year Resolutions that are easy to keep and super-important for eye health:
- Eat smart. Think about your food choices and be sure to include lots of leafy greens, colourful fruits and Omega-3 fatty acids in your diet to promote good eye health. Try to do this on a daily basis.
- If you’re constantly using a computer, phone or tablet (who isn’t?) be sure to rest your eyes every 20 minutes and look at objects in the distance to reduce eye fatigue.
- Wear sunglasses! Yes, we mean all year round! Our harmful UV rays can cause cataracts, pterigiums and cancer of the eyelid.
- Have a regular eye test. By regular, we recommend at least every 2 years – more frequently if you are concerned about your vision.
- Check your family eye health history – ask Mum, Dad, Nanna or Uncle Trevor if there are any eye problems in the family like glaucoma, macular degeneration or cataracts. The sooner you know, the sooner you can have us check your eyes and provide a vision care plan for you.
- Stay active – keeping moving will help to reduce your likelihood of developing Type 2 Diabetes, which leads to vision loss.
The take home message – you only get one pair, look after them. Happy New Year everyone!